Sunday, August 15, 2010

99> Pic of the Week


One of the hazards of getting into deep technical subjects every week is that it’s easy to lose track of what I’ve already posted and what I haven’t. Earlier today I was ready to post a rather long-winded examination of how to synchronize communications and control.  It turns out, though, that I posted much of the same concept a few weeks ago, although not all of the details. In view of that, and the fact that it was way too long a piece, I think it’s time to go back to the drawing board. Actually, speaking of drawing boards, I have spent more than my allotment of  “PRT time” this week trying to design the door mechanisms for my little green and white pods. So I’ll go easy on myself and just leave you with this picture, and call it a day.


Yeah, I know, I have railed against elevated stations in the past, but mostly because I don’t think they should be the ONLY way to board. I have to admit, though, it sure has a small footprint compared to the ground level station below…


See what you did? You made me dig up ANOTHER picture! And I was saving that one… Oh well, Cya next week!
 

2 comments:

Ryan Baker said...

Very nice. Shows the simplicity of the system while still emphasizing without making it look feeble.

The other thing the comparison of the two images makes me think about (agree on the footprint), is the raised station looks safer, or at least less complex in terms of what you need to do to address all safety concerns. I was trying to dream up alternatives to the elevator, when I realized one of the attractions of elevators is they're all sealed and leave very little safety concerns as a result (assuming solid engineering which is well proven in thousands if not millions of models so far).

Dan said...

Hi Ryan. I've been away from my desk. I think the key is to have the vehicles move very slowly for the last few feet, give out a signal, and have a few sensors. (like a tilt switch or motion detectors on the landing area) The vehicles would be light enough to probably be non-lethal to someone lying down right where it touches down anyway. I'm not sure how often ground boarding would be used, but it's good to have the option. Elevators are surprisingly expensive.